Thursday, September 3, 2015

LITTLE DARLINGS

A flash fiction challenge of 100 words or less.
A photo prompt. This week "Bay-Windows"


© Rochelle Wishoff-Fields

LITTLE DARLINGS

"You have to do something about those windows."

"Why, what happened?"

"The kids are drawn to them, they love watching the activity!"

"What's wrong with that?"

"People do look up you know. What if someone notices?"

"Good point. I'll get that window covering that allows the kids to look out but blocks the interior view."

"Wonderful. Thanks dear."

"What's on the restaurant's menu tonight?"

"Tonight the Soul Fusion Gourmet is offering Braised Doug, Fricasseed Joy, and Roasted Alistair."

"My favorites, such darlings, I'll miss them!"

"I know dear, but they kept trying to post Help Me signs in the window!"

100 words
Yolanda Renee © 2015
*****
FYI:

Fusion is a style of cooking that draws on elements from European and Asian cuisines; generally, the application of Asian preparation techniques to European or American ingredients; also known as East meets West.

In this case, it's East meets West meets cannibalism!

Following the advice of Stephen King, who recommends we kill our 'Darlings.' Sorry, bad pun, but I couldn't resist!
*****


The Blue Frog will take you to 
the other posts and 
give you a place to add your own.
Ready to take the challenge?


*****


This week WEP-Write…Edit…Publish announced the winners of the Spectacular Settings Challenge

A 1000 words or less flash fiction challenge with loads of extras!

Please stop by the WEP Headquarters and give your congratulations to the winners.

1st place – Elephants Child
2nd place – L. G. Keltner
3rd place – Samantha Redstreake Geary



42 comments:

dolorah said...

Well, thats a new take on "killing your darlings", lol. I liked it.

Sandra Crook said...

Gruesomely different. Well done!

Denise Covey said...

If one of these days perchance I visit your abode I'm not eating at that restaurant!! Killing your darlings, all right!!

Sally said...

What a menu! Great stuff.

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields said...

Dear Yolanda Renee,

Not sure about that menu. You have taken 'killing your darlings' to a new level.

Shalom,

Rochelle

H. R. Sinclair said...

Wonderfully demented!

Pat Hatt said...

killing your darlings sure went literal here today haha

Tyrean Martinson said...

Wow! Great writing!

The Happy Whisk said...

And then there's a nice bone stock to follow, of course.

Unknown said...

I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't help emitting an audible giggle when reading that! Working with kids I should know better.

Rosey Pinkerton's blog

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Oooh, that is one nasty flash fiction. Who knew you had it in you, Yolanda! LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Donna, that means the world coming from you!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Sandra, yeah, good description.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Denise, I neither cook, nor eat my darlings, I just write it! Honest!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Sally and yet those folks whose names I stole, have not noticed!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Rochelle, sorry, but you provided the prompt. It's not my fault I saw their little faces in the window.

Yolanda Renée said...

Nicest compliment ever!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Pat, very literal!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Tyrean!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Ivy, you make me laugh!

Yolanda Renée said...

Ah, Rosey, laugh away. Thank you!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Joylene, Still waters do run deep!

The Happy Whisk said...

You know I hate to waste.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Omigod! You've got one sick mind, wonder-wench! (And that is but one of the reasons I like you so much...)

Great job. Have a super weekend.

Christine Rains said...

Hehehe! Love that little dark twist! :) Have a great weekend.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Well done, Yolanda. Flash Fiction is not my forte at all. I am in awe of people who write flash fiction.

draliman said...

Oh crumbs! Is that me you're roasting? :-(
Nicely dark, and great light-hearted dialogue (regardless of what they're discussing!).

Stephen Tremp said...

Yolanda, that was a fun dark story. Thanks!

Stephen Tremp said...

Yolanda, that was a fun dark story. Thanks!

Gah Learner said...

I love the way you kill your darlings (and am secretly glad that I'm not among them). Thanks for the chuckle.

Unknown said...

Great story, and especially clever of you to come up with it with just a window pic for a prompt! One of my short stories has a cannibal in it -- and my new WIP, too. I guess the subject interests me... Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Room for one more at the table?
I'll bring some nice young wine to go with those entrees.

Priceless Joy said...

Hahahaha! I'm so glad it isn't me, I'm PJ. LOL! Great one Yolanda!

Yolanda Renée said...

Of course it isn't you, how could it be! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Some nice young wine would be nice, welcome, pull up a chair, thewritersvillage!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Lexa, how odd, but for some reason the mind went there. Does make you wonder, what with zombies all over the place.

Yolanda Renée said...

Maybe next time Ga H, well see. Thanks!

Yolanda Renée said...

What can I say Stephen, I go where the story takes me! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Alistair, what can I say, your name was on the tip of my tongue!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Rachna, I'm slightly addicted to it!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Christine, thanks, this one was fun too!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Susan, yeah it's all due to a sick mind, I think someone dropped me on it at a very young age. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Luv you too lady!